Sunday, October 26, 2008

Christopher is finally feeling better after being hit with two colds, one right after the other. I kept him out of preschool all last week, not so much because he was too sick to go, but I thought it best to give him the week to strengthen up. No sense spreading more germs at school, either.

Well, after careful consideration, I've made the executive decision to take Chris out of school and keep him home with me until I go back to work in January. While this may seem like a no-brainer, it was a decision that required much thought. Christopher, like all little toddlers, is a creature of routine and habit. And because I work, a major part of his routine, for as long as he can remember, has been going to school everyday. When I was first expecting Joseph, I planned to keep Chris home with me full time from day 1 of my maternity leave. But then Greg convinced me that it was best to have him keep going at least a couple of days a week to keep him used to his routine, because he has a very difficult time with transitions. It would be one thing if I didn't have to go back to work, but since I do, well maybe it would be best to keep him going part time.

And that's exactly what we've done since June. He goes 3 days a week and it's worked out pretty well.

But after this month with poor Chris getting so sick (and the rest of us too, including Joey!), I thought maybe it's best for everyone if he's not being constantly exposed to the daycare bugs. The holidays are coming, and we have lots of travelling to do. Wouldn't it be great to not be worrying so much about whether we're all going to be healthy enough to travel. Sure, I know that germs come from anywhere and everywhere. But lets get real here. I would say about 95% of what ails this household comes from Chris, and he picks up stuff at school.

My plan is to slowly reintroduce Chris to school in mid January. This will give him time to become reacquainted with his teachers and his friends. I pray that I've done the right thing and that I'm not setting us up for a really difficult transition for Chris when my leave is over. I would hate to put him through unnecessary angst just for my sake.

Fingers crossed! Until then, I am going to enjoy having my little boy home every day and will make the most of this short time together!

3 comments:

  1. No better time to enjoy your kids than the time you have off right now. Will you be traveling far for the holidays?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! We are planning to go to Michigan (about 500 mi. from here) for T-giving and will go to Massacusetts (about 380 mi from here) for Christmas. Our families can't wait to see the kids!
    How about you, do you travel around the holidays? Do you go to the UK to visit your husband's fam?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comment on my blog! Sounds like you've got a great plan for your family for the rest of the year! I can SO relate to the stress of having kids in school/daycare, and the constant battle of the germs. In fact, I have my kids' flu shots scheduled for tomorrow, and I am just hoping that they all stay healthy between now and then so that we can get the shots (because last time we tried, one had bronchitis and one had an ear infection and they couldn't do the shots). Thanks again for stopping by! Your little boys are just precious!

    ReplyDelete

 

design + development by kiki and co. creative