Sunday, December 9, 2012

It's Beginning to Look a lot like Christmas!

We started decorating our home (well, our temporary home, that is) for Christmas and I am really feeling like it actually is our home!
The tree is up, and is trimmed mainly with a lot of the very beautiful vintage ornaments that I've acquired from my Mom over the years. I feel very lucky to have such a wonderful part of our family history that can be displayed on our tree. All of the ornaments that she gave us are unique, special, one-of-a-kind, and are ones that I remember growing up and decorating our tree at home. I can even vividly recall her saying "I remember these when I was a little girl!" every year when we were decorating our tree.. In other words, these ornaments are old! I am going to remember to make a point to get some better pictures of them before this Christmas season is over. I just need to find my camera :) For now, some iPhone pictures will have to do.
As anyone who has made a major move can attest, it's tough. You miss all the traditions you had, and you miss the people who helped to make them.
We have made it a point to begin new traditions here in NJ that the kids can become attached to, and to help them continue to feel more excited about this transition. To that end, we found an AWESOME place just around the corner. Abma's Farm Market here in Wyckoff is 100% awesome. Their greenhouse is incredible and the veggies are delicious. The farm has several goats, chickens, horses, cows, and very adorable bunnies. We got our Christmas tree there, and the kids enjoyed making ornaments, having some hot cocoa,  and meeting Santa (though he wasn't a very good one, they kept asking if he was "FAKE"!)
Also, we finally made time to take a trip into NYC last weekend. The kids really enjoyed their first train ride into the city. It took us less than an hour to get into Penn Station and the fare was relatively cheap (the boys ride free!). I see many trips in our future! Having the train station five minutes away from our house makes it super easy to go in for shows, museums, dinner, shopping, sightseeing, and visiting George and his family.

Rockefeller Plaza/Radio City at Christmas


One of many of the vintage ornaments from Mom.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by kiki and co. creative